With the abundance of treats to enjoy this holiday season, it can be difficult for those with braces to find tasty foods and snacks that are not harmful to their orthodontic progress. Luckily, there are some braces-friendly holiday recipes out there that are an easy crowd-pleaser for everyone at the party, braces or not. Our Orland Park, IL orthodontist, Dr. Thomas Sonneveld, and our staff put together a few holiday dishes that are delicious and easy to eat.
Apple Spice Muffins
Throughout the holidays, desserts are in great supply. Unfortunately for those with braces, the popular sweets around this time of year are sticky, and hard to chew, such as peanut brittle or peppermint bark. These sweet, crumbly, apple spice muffins will satisfy your sweet tooth without damaging your wires and brackets. Enjoy!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (not Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup all purpose flour, spooned into a measuring cup and leveled
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, spooned into a measuring cup and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped baking apples
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- In an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add the large egg and mix well, stop to scrape the bowl if necessary.
- Once mixed, add in the yogurt. Note: the batter will look grainy.
- Add in the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and nutmeg and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Mix in the chopped apples until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Using an ice-cream scooper or large spoon, dive the batter evenly among prepared muffin cups until each cup is full. Sprinkle the brown sugar topping evenly over the tops of the batter.
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the muffins to determine if they are ready. If the toothpick does not come out clean, continue baking.
- After removing the muffins from the oven, let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
- Serve warm.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
As a staple holiday delight that is present at almost every winter dinner party, mashed potatoes serve as the perfect side dish for those with braces. These garlic mashed potatoes have a creamy consistency that makes them soft and easy to eat. Enjoy them with your holiday turkey or as a simple snack!
- 3 ½ pounds russet potatoes
- 16 fluid ounces half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- Peel and dice the potatoes, making sure to chop them into relatively similar-sized chunks.
- Place the diced potatoes in a large saucepan, add the salt, and cover with water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling
- boil until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the half-and-half and the garlic over medium-heat until it’s simmering. Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside.
- Once potatoes are finished cooking and have been drained of water, mash them together with the garlic-cream mixture and Parmesan.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes so that the mixture thickens and then serve.
Contact Our Orland Park, IL Orthodontic Office!
At Sonneveld Orthodontics, our skilled Orland Park team specializes in orthodontic treatment for all ages, including metal braces, ceramic braces, and Invisalign. If you have any questions about what you should and should not eat with braces, contact our office today. To schedule an appointment with us, please fill out our online form or give us a call. We wish you and your family a happy and healthy holiday season!