Valentine’s Day is today and that means there will be plenty of chocolates, candies, and treats around to be enjoyed. At Sonneveld Orthodontics, we know that some of our patients will be celebrating Valentine’s Day and will want to enjoy the treats that come with it. But Dr. Sonneveld has a word of caution for those undergoing orthodontic treatment. Not only will you have to look out for cupid’s arrow, but you’ll also have to watch out for treats that could damage your brackets and wires if you’re wearing braces.
Orthodontist-Approved Valentine’s Day Foods
The Sonneveld Orthodontics team doesn’t want any of our patients to miss out on celebrating and having a fun time for Valentine’s Day. We’ve made a list of treats that are safe for braces that you can indulge in for this day.
- Ice cream
- Plain chocolate and chocolates with soft centers (no chewy, caramel, or nut centers)
Braces-Friendly Valentine’s Day Recipe from your Oak Forest Orthodontist
As your Oak Forest area orthodontist, we’ve also picked out a braces-friendly recipe you can try your hand at for a DIY Valentine’s Day treat!
Chocolate Sorbet by Delish
Makes 6 servings
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, mix together 1 ½ cups of the water, the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk the mixture constantly until it comes to a boil, then boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until melted.
- Add in the vanilla and remaining water and use a hand mixer to blend the mixture until frothy.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour then freeze for 2 hours.
- Blend with a hand mixer again until airy and freeze again for another 2 hours.
- Blend with a hand mixer one more time, transfer to a loaf pan, and freeze for 1-2 hours until set.
Contact Your Oak Forest Braces Specialist
If you’d like more information on foods to avoid while undergoing orthodontic treatment with braces, please feel free to contact our Orland Park office at 708-403-2626. One of team members can also get an appointment scheduled for you if you’d like to come in for a consultation to begin orthodontic treatment with us. Alternatively, you can fill out our online appointment request form if you’re interested in braces or Invisalign. We look forward to hearing from you and happy Valentine’s Day!