No matter what age you are, it’s never too late to improve your confidence and self-esteem. This can mean correcting your crooked, crowded, or spaced-apart teeth! Whether you’re considering changing your smile for aesthetic purposes or wanting to fix long-standing issues with your bite and jaw alignment, customized orthodontic treatment can give you the smile that you’ve always wanted. At Sonneveld Orthodontics, we offer comprehensive adult orthodontic treatment. Our doctors and staff can give any adult a customized treatment that fixes your specific problems. But why get orthodontics as an adult? Find out why adult orthodontic treatment is important, and how it can change your smile for the better.
Why Get Adult Braces?
If you’re an adult who is unhappy about how your teeth look and function, now is a great time! Braces help improve your oral health. No matter how old you are, you’re never too old to achieve a beautiful, healthy smile! Braces can help with:
- Crooked teeth
- Incorrect jaw positioning
- Speech impairment
- TMJ relief
- Help prevent dental diseases
Crowded teeth can make it harder to properly clean the mouth, thus increasing the risk of developing dental problems. When you can’t reach certain areas, food cannot be removed, giving bacteria the perfect environment to grow and thrive.
How is Adult Treatment Different from Child/Teen Treatment?
Teeth can shift throughout your life. What your teeth looked like as a child or teen won’t look the same as an adult. There are different factors to consider when receiving adult treatment vs. when getting braces as a child or teen. Here are things to know:
- Children’s teeth are softer and easier to move. With a child, their teeth and jaws are still developing. With adults, bones and ligaments are set in stone. This means adults have harder bones and gum tissues. Because bones and gum tissues are harder, it can require a longer treatment plan.
- Older teeth can be worn down and misshapen. In addition to misalignment, there can be more problems that need to be addressed before orthodontic treatment starts.
- Previous dental work and history, such as tooth extractions, can impact the type of treatment an adult needs.
- Smoking, eating habits, and clenching/grinding teeth (such as TMJ) may also impact the length and outcome of adult orthodontic treatment. In severe cases, your orthodontist may need to work with your dentist or enlist a specialist to achieve your desired results.
No matter what age you are, everyone is unique within their own treatment. No mouth is the same! That’s why it’s important to get a customized treatment that works for you.
Get Adult Treatment at Sonneveld Orthodontics Today!
If you’re an adult who’s looking to start orthodontic treatment, contact Sonneveld Orthodontics today! Our expert doctors and staff can give you a customized treatment that will work with your lifestyle and needs. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our Orland Park office. Request an appointment now. We are excited to start working with you!