It’s almost time to say goodbye to summer and start getting ready to head back to school. While many kids out there may be dreading having to put on their backpacks and make their into the first classes of the year, there is a quick and easy way that parents can help lift their spirits: some delicious food! From that refreshing and satisfying mid-day snack that your kids can find in their lunchbox, to a delectable snack that can help replenish their energy after a long day at school, Sonneveld Orthodontics has put together this list of back-to-school snacks that kids will love. Did we mention that all of these snacks are perfectly safe to eat with braces too? That means no worrying about broken brackets, bent archwire, and an impromptu visit to Dr. Sonneveld to get their braces fixed at the start of the school year.
Perfect Schooltime Treats For Kids With Braces
Even if you’re already familiar watching what your kids eat so they don’t damage their braces, coming up with snacks and meals for them to enjoy without repeating the same foods can still be challenging. To help you keep things fresh and give your kids some food that they will love to sink their teeth into.
- Smoothies & fresh fruit – Blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, or any soft fruit that your kids can bite into are safe for their braces and will be a nice, refreshing treat any time of the day. To mix things up, literally, throw everything into a blending and make some tasty smoothies.
- Dairy – From cheese and crackers to some flavored yogurt packs, dairy is an excellent addition to any meal for your kids. As an added bonus, dairy products are rich in calcium, which can help strengthen their teeth.
- Steamed vegetables – While your kids can’t bite into a raw carrot or piece of celery for a healthy snack, steaming the veggies is a great way to make them soft enough to bite with braces, while also retaining all the nutrients.
- Soft cookies – what kid doesn’t love cookies? You can still let your kids enjoy a delicious cookie every once in a while as long as it’s soft. There are many packaged cookie brands that are soft and safe to bite into with braces, or there are recipes that can help you bake your own soft cookies at home.
- Lunch meat slices – Biting into a steak or a piece of grilled chicken is out of the question, but lunch meats are the perfect solution that can give your kids the protein they need without having to tear into some tough meat. Roast beef, turkey, ham, and bologna slicer are all easy to find and make a tasty, classic sandwich.
These are only just a few of the many snacks that are perfect for back-to-school time that your kids will love, without risking damage to their braces.
Get More Braces-Friendly Snack Ideas Today!
For more snacks and treats that your kids will love as they get ready to go back to school, just contact us at Sonneveld Orthodontics and a member of our staff will be happy to provide you with more ideas! As your kids go back to school, don’t forget to bring them to their regular checkups with Dr. Sonneveld at our local Orland Park, IL office, and if you need to schedule that next visit, just reach out to us and we’ll get you set up with a date and time that works for you. We look forward to seeing you and your family in our office once the school year starts back up!