As your source of Oak Forest orthodontics, we at Sonneveld Orthodontics understand that the foundation of a healthy smile lies in proper brushing. If your smile isn’t healthy and free of advanced gum disease, orthodontic treatment may not even be recommended. That’s why we always try to promote proper brushing for all of our patients. In fact, we’d even be glad to give you advice on how to do so.
The Proper Tools
Before you start brushing, you’ll want to have the right tools for the task. Most dental professionals agree that the best toothbrush to use is a soft-bristled toothbrush as it’s more effective at removing plaque and other debris from a person’s teeth. Small-headed brushes are also preferred as they’re better at getting to the hard-to-reach areas of a person’s mouth. When it comes to toothpaste, we recommend using an ADA-approved toothpaste that has fluoride in it as these are proven to be effective. What flavor and type of toothpaste you choose is completely up to you.
Proper Brushing Technique
Now that you have your toothbrush and your toothpaste, you’re ready to start! We recommend following this proven brushing technique:
- First, place just a small strip of toothpaste on your toothbrush.
- Hold your toothbrush at about a 45-degree angle that’s pointed at your gum line.
- Brush your teeth using small circular motions in order to reach any food particles that may be underneath your gum line.
- Continue to carefully brush against the outsides of all your teeth. You should brush up on the lower teeth and brush down on the upper teeth.
- Repeat this for the insides of your teeth as well.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth using a back-and-forth scrubbing motion.
- Finally, brush your tongue to remove any bacteria and freshen your breath.
Also, remember to replace your toothbrush after three months or when its bristles begin to fray or wear down.
Contact Your Provider of Oak Forest Orthodontics!
We hope these tips helped you out! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. If you’re in search of orthodontics in the Oak Forest area, we encourage you to give us a call at (708) 403-2626. We can’t wait to hear from you and help you attain a straighter smile!